Choosing a Destination Race event like Reggae Marathon is exciting. I remember the day I chose to run Reggae Marathon like it was yesterday! And even though I’m a Seasoned Reggae Marathoner now coming up to my 6th consecutive race this December 6, I can remember what it was like to have been a ‘Newbie’: Lots of questions including how to get to Negril, where to stay, hydration and so on. Here are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about Reggae Marathon:
- Where does Reggae Marathon start and finish? Both the start and finish of all Reggae Marathon events are Long Bay Beach Park in Negril. The entire race is on flat, paved roads that are closed to vehicle traffic. What time does the Race start? Two other variations: Does it really start at 5:15 am? and Does it really start on time? All three Reggae Marathon events, Full Marathon, Half Marathon and 10K start at the same time at 5:15 am. And absolutely YES, Reggae Marathon starts exactly on time at 5:15 am. It’s been that way since the first race. Plan to be near the start area by 4:30 am.
- How do I get to Negril for Reggae Marathon? If you’re flying in to Jamaica and arriving at the airport in Montego Bay, JUTA Negril offers convenient transportation options to all hotels in the Negril area. You can pre-arrange your transportation prior to arriving and they have a conveniently located booth just outside the Customs area. Click this link: JUTA Negril. If you’re on-island and coming to Negril from other areas, Knutsford Express is a good option. They have regular service from Kingston, Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. Click this link: Knutsford Express.
- Where’s the best place to stay while in Negril for Reggae Marathon? There are many options to choose from along the Negril Resort Area. Everything from all-inclusive resorts to smaller, more intimate properties to villas. Check out this link for a list of many of the hotels. It also shows the distance from the start/finish area: Hotels in Negril.
- Is there a Bag Check? Yes, there is a very convenient and well organized Bag Check near the Start/Finish line of Reggae Marathon. Pack a towel for your post-race dip in the Caribbean. And of course, don’t include any valuable items. Get there early though to ensure you.
- Are the Reggae Marathon events timed? All events are Chip-timed so you will get an exact time once you cross the timing mats. While we don’t have start corals (we have about 2,000 runners and walkers in total), be respectful of your abilities. Stay back and let the sprinters and elite runners get away cleanly. And yes, Reggae Marathon is a Certified Marathon course and is a qualifer for Boston, New York and London Marathon events.
- Is there hydration on the course? Yes. Reggae Marathon has aid and hydration stations at the start and finish and at every mile along the course. Both electrolyte replacement and water are available at every aid station. And we serve both in convenient, sealed pouches that make it really easy and less messy to hydrate properly.
We hope that helps. If you have a specific question, please leave a comment on this Blog post or on our Facebook Page: Reggae Marathon.
Until next time…