What to pack race day at Reggae Marathon? Since most of make our way from a local hotel, we have to think about what to bring to the Start/Finish area at Long Bay Beach Park. The short answer is that you won’t need to bring as much as you think. Everyone who registers for Reggae Marathon gets a Tote Bag and a T Shirt among other goodies. This Tote Bag is the most convenient way to pack and carry your essentials for post-race.
Heading to my 10th consecutive Reggae Marathon Sunday, December 2 this year, here’s what I pack and check at the convenient bag check near the start/finish area:
- Towel. I’m going to be wet after my post race swim. On the walk along the beach back to my hotel I generally dry off but it’s nice to have a towel just in case.
- Sunscreen. Yes we finish early morning but the sun is more intense in Negril in December than most of are used to, even in the early to mid-morning. Apply sunscreen after you’ve enjoyed the post race activities, especially if you are walking back to your hotel along the beach.
- Hat. A second hat. For the 10K it is not absolutely necessary to wear a hat; for the Half Marathon and Full Marathon, I strongly recommend wearing a hat during the race. Then for after, another, dry hat to keep your head covered in the mid-morning sun.
- Sandals. I pack a pair of sandals to change into immediately after finishing since my running shoes are usually thoroughly wet. I use my sandals for walking around.
- T Shirt. I run in a racing singlet, not my Reggae Marathon T Shirt. After the race I like to change into it to celebrate my ‘win’.
I don’t pack my cell phone, camera or anything valuable in my Tote Bag. I’ve never done that for any race so Reggae Marathon isn’t special in this regard. I also don’t pack a swimsuit…I’m sweaty, salty after my dip in the Caribbean and don’t feel the need to change. But hey…that’s just me!
So pack light, check your bag at the Start/Finish and enjoy your race!
Until next time…
Reggae Marathon RunninGuy