Hot weather running is something you either love or tolerate. In Jamaica we thrive on warm weather running, after all we enjoy warm temperatures all year long. Things that we do to ensure safe and enjoyable running in warmer temperatures include:
- Hydrate properly. The key here is balance. Not to over or under hydrate. Water is always the safest bet to stay hydrated in warm temperatures. If you are out for a long time, generally over an hour, electrolyte replacement becomes necessary. For more on how to hydrate properly, check this article: Hydration and Dehydration.
- Wear a hat; keep your head covered. We can’t stress this enough. You need to protect against direct sun rays. A technical running hat wicks moisture helping to keep you cool and dousing it with water during long runs works.
- Run early…or late. Only mad dogs and Englishmen run in the noon day sun (borrowed from the late Joe Cocker). Run when the temperature is lowest, early morning or evening. Remember to wear reflective running gear if you’ll be running in the dark.
- Wear running socks. It can be a temptation to run without socks in the summer but resist. Technical socks wick moisture from your feet and are especially functional on hot days
- Pay attention to your body. More than ever, pay attention to how your body is reacting to the temperature. Dizziness, loss of coordination are signs that things are not right. Take immediate action if you have any abnormal symptoms.
For more tips on how to survive hot weather running, this is an excellent article: Running in the Heat.
Until next time…
Reggae Marathon RunninGuy (aka Sugar ‘Tuff Gong’ Bong)
- Register for Reggae Marathon, December 5, 2015: Reggae Marathon Online Registration
- For more information check the Reggae Marathon Web Site
- Click here for more details on Reggae Marathon’s Abe Issa Award for Excellence
- Here is the official 2014 Reggae Marathon Video: Reggae Marathon 2014
- Select your Reggae Marathon Name here: Reggae Marathon Name