Summer’s here! My favourite time of year for running: Summer running!
Outside of Jamaica, most of us need to ‘layer up’ to run outside for the better part of the year. Base layer, insulation, wind jacket, toque, gloves! Some days the chore of suiting up almost takes the fun out of running outside. Banish those memories now that summer is here in those northern climates…T shirt, hat, shorts (or tights if you prefer) then slip on the running shoes and we’re good to go.
Running in the summer is great practice for Reggae Marathon. Stock up on summer running experiences to keep you going through the fall when cooler temperatures return. As always, it’s important to run safely. Here are a few tips for summer running:
- Wear a hat. Especially if you’re running mid-day or even early evening.
- Run early morning or evening when the sun is lower in the sky and the temperatures are cooler
- Stay hydrated. Especially on long runs. Water is generally good enough for workouts under an hour but keep electrolytes in mind as well.
- Dress appropriately. A technical top is best since the material allows sweat to evaporate quickly. Stay away from cotton products that get wet and stay wet
- Hydrate after. Depending on how much you sweat, you need to replenish fluids immediately after a run.
For other tips on how to enjoy summer running safely, here’s a good article: Summer Running.
Until next time…
Reggae Marathon Runnin