6 days in paradise. That sums up my experience last week in Negril for Reggae Marathon 2012. From the road trip to to Negril, to the Pasta Party/Race Day combo to the vacation time on the beach after, it was truly a spectacular running vacation. Here are some miscellaneous musings:
- Race Director Frano and his entire team of tireless volunteers did it again! From the prompt 5:15 am start (12 years in a row now) to Frano directing runners near the finish line, a ‘Great BIG Thank You’ to everyone who worked behind the scenes to give us runners a flawless race event
- Racing in the dark for the first 45 minutes of a race event is truly special. I saw one runner with a head lamp. Nice idea but not really needed.
- Listening to Reggae Music while running. Nuff said!
- Stopping to take pictures along the way. I walked the 10K in a walking cast last weekend. That was a first for me (not recommended in hindsight). At my previous 3 Reggae Marathon events, I’ve always been concerned with time. Not this year. I had my camera with me and caught some great shots of people along the way.
- It doesn’t rain in Negril
on Reggae Marathon race weekend does it? Four years straight now that it’s rained at night (OK, we did have a little downpour during the 2011 Reggae Marathon Pasta Party) but it’s been dry weather running.
- The Negril Beach! I’ve been to bigger beaches but none better than the white sand beach of Negril with gently slapping waves.
- It sucks to leave Negril. Only 355 days to Reggae Marathon 2013, December 7. That’s all I want for Christmas.
Until next time…